Corporal Gruber saw the German squad breaking into the stone structure to the right of the post office where the Russians dug themselves in. He grabbed the demolition pack and dashed out into the street. How he ran through the bullet storm and across the street was beyond anyone’s guess, but the German squad must be keeping the Russian distracted. Some of the Russians saw the lone figure coming and got off a few shots nonetheless. Jaws were dropping all around as Gruber, still unscathed, managed to place the demolition pack.
The Russian squad, already being shot up by the Germans dropping in from the right, was looking to run. The blinding explosion that ensured took out half the Russians and made a firm decision for the rest : run!
(The action while playing “Advanced Squad Leader Scenario S2 : War of the Rats“)
- Stalingrad: the turning point of WWII (warhistoryonline.com)
- Russia to mark Battle of Stalingrad’s 70th anniversary (itv.com)
- Battle of Stalingrad: key dates, quotes and legacy (warhistoryonline.com)
- Stalingrad: 1943 and 2013 (conservativeread.com)
- Memories of Stalingrad (on.aol.com)
- Russia marks the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Stalingrad (rbth.ru)
- Vasily Zaitsev: The legendary sniper of Stalingrad (indrus.in)
- The Battle for Stalingrad remembered (russianreport.wordpress.com)