Advanced Squad Leader is also referred to as “ASL”. You’ll notice a lot of different Advanced Squad Leader modules out there and it can get pretty confusing. It helps to know there are a few large categories:
- Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit “ASLSK” : these are complete modules that provide low cost venues for new players to try and to learn the Advanced Squad Leader system.
- Advanced Squad Leader Core modules : these are modules, each containing all the counters (“orders of battle” or “OB”) for specific nationalities. The modules are not complete games by themselves. There are “dependencies” between modules which we will cover in another post and they require the purchase of the Advance Squad Leader Rulebook “ASLRB” (latest being 2nd edition 2nd print) to play.
- Historical Advanced Squad Leader module “HASL” : these are modules that takes a deeper look at specific historical events. Note that they too are not complete games and are dependent on ownership of specific Orders of Battle plus the Advanced Squad Leader Rulebook.
- Advanced Squad Leader Action Packs “ASL Action Pack” : these are expansions to the ASL system that contains additional maps and scenarios that allow players to get right into the action.
- Advanced Squad Leader Compatible “ASLCOMP” : these are Advanced Squad Leader variants and expansions published by companies other than Avalon Hill Game Company or Multi-Man Publishing.
I hope this provides a good framework from which you can plan your acquisitions. Any thoughts, ideas or questions please feel free to comment!
Pingback: The Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kits Are A Great Way To Start! | Hong Kong Wargamer
Pingback: Which Advanced Squad Leader Module Is Which And Which To Get Before Which | Hong Kong Wargamer
Pingback: Don’t Worry, You Can Always Find An Opponent For Advanced Squad Leader | Hong Kong Wargamer
Pingback: Advanced Squad Leader Resources For You | Hong Kong Wargamer
What is your take on the BFP-Products?
Not official, from what I gather…
Are they Worth having?