This is a particularly interesting scenario. As the SS, having Assault Fire should tip you off to the fact that they should move as fast as possible in spite of heavy American firepower. At one point I had broken SS all over the board but we recovered and got to the last turn barely “on time” for the jump off!
The last turn was classic ASL: keep in mind I needed to get 2 of the 3 key buildings.
A Hero placed a DC in of the VC buildings. That thing blew up with a original KIA and rubbled the building! (YEAAAHHH) The Americans had a 9-X Leader and a couple of squads on the Ground floor. It was bad.
I got my FT HS within 2 hexes of another one of the VC buildings, while under Concealment no less! This HS X’d out the FT on the first shot! These guys hadn’t done a thing all game and X’d out the FT on the only shot they got!!
The rest of the SS’s Advanced Fire was ineffective apart from pinning a couple of squads.
I had to win one of two CC’s to win the game. In the first one, the SS ambushed the Americans but boxcarred the roll. Okay, I need to win one of one CCs .. then I realized I had a problem.
I had 2 SS squads at the bottom of the church where a pinned HS and an 8-0 got holed up in the Steeple. Normally, this would have been the easiest CC to do.
But it’s a Steeple.
My 2 SS squad had to take a +3 overstacking penalty going in, so it’s a 3:1 or 8 +3, needing to roll a 5 (or really a 4).
I rolled an 8.
- Read the VC carefully: the German player needs at least 12 building which includes 1 of 3 buildings around hex D2 (in the back) and 2 of 3 stone buildings around hex J4.
- Part of the German OB are reinforcements that will show up between Turn 1 to Turn 3. They are good for keeping the Americans in place and also to grab a building around hex D2 in the back.
- Keep in mind that the Germans have Winter Camouflage amidst Ground Snow .. ie if needed, they can Advance into Open Ground without losing Concealment (against ridiculous US firepower).
- We completely forgot about SSR#5 Interrogation
- That Steeple (J4) is useful in that it keeps an oversized contingent of SS from piling in. The SS best focus on the other 2 stone buildings around hex J4.
Next in the countdown: DB131 A Thorn in the Side!